I made this spell book from an old Spanish Textbook I bought from a thrift store. I made the texture and eyeball and snakes with paper mache. To get the old-ish looking cover I used three shades of brown acrylic paint, starting with the darkest, then lighter and lighter. The lighter colored coats I also used way less pain. The snakes were painted silver, then bushed over lightly with black so it wasn't quite such a bright silver.
The staples on there are actual staple gun staples that I cut the sides off so it was just a flat piece of metal, and then hot glued on.
I painted the sides of the pages a tan color, too.
The whole project took me about 6-7 hours maybe.